Deep Brain Stimulation: May Provide Lasting Health Benefits in Parkinsonís
The news source is WebMD and research was done by University of Toronto.
Researchers at University of Toronto have studied the benefits of having a deep brain stimulator implanted to patients with Parkinsonís disease. It was between year 1996 and 2000 that they checked and fitted the deep brain stimulators on a group of 18 patients with Parkinsonís who showed a lasting health benefits for a decade.
Parkinsonís is a debilitating disease that can affect individual after the age of 50 resulting to symptoms like difficulty with speech, stiffness, slowness, and tremors.
The patients with deep brain stimulators were tested under different conditions such as with medication and brain stimulator turned off, without medications but with stimulator on, with medication but with stimulator off, and both medication and brain stimulation turned on. These were videotaped as they performed their daily physical movements and then scored by a doctor who didnít know the patientís condition. After a decade, the researchers have seen the improvement with the deep brain stimulation about 23% for slowness, 25% for overall movement, and 85% for tremors.
According to the study researcher Andres M. Lozano, MD, PhD, patients with Parkinsonís improved lasting for a decade with the deep brain stimulator on compared to those stimulators off. Dr. Alon Mogilner also has seen the same benefits to his patients. Dr. Michael Rezak also agreed and added that medications can be reduced significantly.
The deep brain stimulator is a device that sends impulses to the brain which block abnormal signals responsible for the diseaseís symptoms. It costs between $30,000 and $50,000 and currently, about 90,000 people have received the deep brain stimulation.
Now, we know that a deep brain stimulator is really a big but is quite expensive. However, health insurance can help you alleviate that burden especially if the time comes that you will be a victim of Parkinsonís disease. In New Hampshire, you can choose which New Hampshire health insurance providers can help you secure your future health. All Insurance Matters.com will help you find and choose which New Hampshire health insurance providers best fit your preference. So, get a free online quote now or call us at 603-890-0100 for further understanding.
This post was brought to you by Allinsurancematters.com. Get your free health insurance quote today by using our online quote engine, allowing you to compare rates and plans immediately. Weíve helped many consumers in New Hampshire save money on their health insurance by comparison shopping, and can do the same for you.
- Why Anthem Anthem Blue Cross is Good For Your Business
- The Anthem Blue Cross Employee Assistance Program for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Life and Disability Insurance for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Medcall for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Prescription Coverage for Large Group Plans
- What Can the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Card PPO Plan Provide Your Employees?
- Anthem Blue Cross Large Group HMO Preferred Plan
- Your Options for Small Group Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- Frequently Asked Questions About Small Group Life and Disability Insurance
- Special Benefits for Your Employees from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group $35 Co-pay GenRx Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $40 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $20 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO 3500 HSA Compatible Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Advantage PPO $25 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $10 Co-Pay Plan
- SmileNet Dental Discount Program from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Power Select HMO Plan for Small Groups
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group High Deductible EPO Plan
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Power Health Fund Plans
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Classic HMO Plan and the Saver HMO Plan
- The Anthem Blue Cross Healthy Improvement Program
- Anthem Blue Cross DirectAccess, SpeedyReferral and Baby Connection Programs
- Medicare Advantage Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- What Does the National Committee for Quality Assurance Do?
- Saver Select Dental HMO Plan from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Final Expense Whole Life Insurance Plan