New hope for painful ankles
If you have ever sprained your ankle then you know that the pain can be excruciating. When you sprain your ankle the ligaments inside of it twist or stretch away from their normal position. For most of us the pain of a sprained ankle only lasts for a couple of days then we are up and about with hardly any lasting effects but what do you do when a sprain is more then a sprain?
An article posted September 16, 2011 on Ivanhoe.com tells us about a “New Twist on Ankle Surgery” which may offer hope for some.
Sometimes an ankle sprain does more damage then just stretching the ligaments out of place instead the ligaments stretch so far and so hard that they actually create a “pothole” on the bone. When this happens chronic and constant pain is often the result.
“Typically, this is related to trauma, so if your ankle sprains or you twist it, two bones impact each other, and a little piece of bone and cartilage gets displaced,” Selene Parekh, M.D., a orthopedic surgeon at Duke University, explained.
In the past there was little that medicine could do for those suffering this injury but a new technique may be the answer. Duke orthopedic surgeon doctor Selene Parekh is using a new technology, a graft made from juvenile cadaver tissue, surgically placed to fill the hole.
“It’s little pieces of cartilage, and we pick them up with tweezers, and we just place them into the base of the pothole, and we use human glue, and we glue that into the pothole,” Dr. Parekh said.
After about 7 months the allograft procedure is done the cartridge grows into a solid and the “pothole” is repaired.
Although it is too soon to know for sure doctors hope that the new allograft procedure will be a permanent fix for patients who suffer from serious ankle lesions avoiding ankle replacement surgery.
This post was brought to you by Abrams-California-Health-Insurance.com. If you need assistance searching for an Anthem insurance California plan, don’t hesitate to get help from the experts. We specialize in several types of health insurance and can bring you the best plans in the state, for less. Contact us at 800-366-2751 to get started today.
- Why Anthem Anthem Blue Cross is Good For Your Business
- The Anthem Blue Cross Employee Assistance Program for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Life and Disability Insurance for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Medcall for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Prescription Coverage for Large Group Plans
- What Can the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Card PPO Plan Provide Your Employees?
- Anthem Blue Cross Large Group HMO Preferred Plan
- Your Options for Small Group Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- Frequently Asked Questions About Small Group Life and Disability Insurance
- Special Benefits for Your Employees from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group $35 Co-pay GenRx Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $40 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $20 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO 3500 HSA Compatible Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Advantage PPO $25 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $10 Co-Pay Plan
- SmileNet Dental Discount Program from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Power Select HMO Plan for Small Groups
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group High Deductible EPO Plan
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Power Health Fund Plans
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Classic HMO Plan and the Saver HMO Plan
- The Anthem Blue Cross Healthy Improvement Program
- Anthem Blue Cross DirectAccess, SpeedyReferral and Baby Connection Programs
- Medicare Advantage Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- What Does the National Committee for Quality Assurance Do?
- Saver Select Dental HMO Plan from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Final Expense Whole Life Insurance Plan