Medicare: Government spends more for the Elder’s Health but with selection?
The news source is ABC News and research was done by Dr. Melissa Wachterman
According to the report posted online, the government of the United States has increased the amount of money they spend to $12 billion or more than 53% between 2005 and 2009 on hospice care through Medicare.
Hospice care is being provided to those terminally ill elderly through rendering palliative care which means giving comfort but not cure to the patients. Hospice care can be rendered in a specialized hospice care institution, in hospitals, long-term facility, or just at home. In relation, Medicare is a kind of federal insurance program that benefits people age 65 and older as well as some of those qualified disabled people. It helps these individuals to cover much of the health care excluding prescription drugs.
According to study, government spends more for the hospice care because of the number of people who use the hospice service also increases. The Department of Health and Human Services has reported that in 2009 more than half of the hospice services were for profit. Hence, Medicare pays same rate to all hospices even if the government pays more to those profit-making providers.
On the other hand, Dr. Melissa Wachterman concerned was the possibility of “cherry picking” of patients who cost only less medically but requires a longer stay which can cause higher profit for those profit-making hospice providers. However, Schumacher stressed that there is no evidence as to patient selectiveness and added that it even saves the government funds compared to those who are not admitted to hospice care.
Therefore, it’s nice to know that the government shows great emphasis regarding Medicare which contributes a lot especially to those who need a hospice care.
However, Medicare only shoulders certain hospice care cost. In New Hampshire, we are glad to inform you that there are health insurance companies that can help you fill the gaps of the Medicare coverage through Medical Supplements, this means that it can cover the cost of your prescription drugs. For more queries call us at 603-890-0100 or get a free Medicare New Hampshire online quote now.
This post was brought to you by Allinsurancematters.com. Be sure to explore our website or contact one of our friendly agents who will be happy to assist you. Not only will you find quality coverage from the leading carriers in the state, you will also save money by comparison shopping. Let us help you find quality health insurance today!
- Why Anthem Anthem Blue Cross is Good For Your Business
- The Anthem Blue Cross Employee Assistance Program for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Life and Disability Insurance for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Medcall for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Prescription Coverage for Large Group Plans
- What Can the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Card PPO Plan Provide Your Employees?
- Anthem Blue Cross Large Group HMO Preferred Plan
- Your Options for Small Group Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- Frequently Asked Questions About Small Group Life and Disability Insurance
- Special Benefits for Your Employees from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group $35 Co-pay GenRx Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $40 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $20 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO 3500 HSA Compatible Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Advantage PPO $25 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $10 Co-Pay Plan
- SmileNet Dental Discount Program from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Power Select HMO Plan for Small Groups
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group High Deductible EPO Plan
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Power Health Fund Plans
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Classic HMO Plan and the Saver HMO Plan
- The Anthem Blue Cross Healthy Improvement Program
- Anthem Blue Cross DirectAccess, SpeedyReferral and Baby Connection Programs
- Medicare Advantage Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- What Does the National Committee for Quality Assurance Do?
- Saver Select Dental HMO Plan from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Final Expense Whole Life Insurance Plan