New Health Discovery May Help Prevent Stroke
The news source is WebMD and research was done by Duke University.
A new health discovery has been announced lately regarding to a new medication that helps a patient with atrial fibrillation prevent stroke. Researchers from Duke University have shown that Xarelto works the same with warfarin as a blood thinner that prevents clot formation.
Atrial fibrillation is a heart problem in which there is presence of irregular heart pumping causing the blood to form clots in the upper chambers that can lead to stroke. The risk of having this heart problem increases with age and about 8% of the total population.
The study about Xarelto against warfarin was conducted in a group of 14, 000 atrial fibrillation patients with moderate to high risk of stroke. They were randomly assigned to take a daily dose of either warfarin or Xarelto while some were assigned to take placebo medicine. After 2 years, the result shows that 269 who took Xarelto and 306 who took warfarin had strokes and had a blood clot lodged somewhere in the parts of their body. This interpretation proves that Xarelto works well as warfarin.
Study researcher and cardiologist Dr. Manesh R. Patel stressed that warfarin is very good drug of choice for stroke prevention but sometimes it is difficult to use due to its side effects. Experts have said that Xarelto is a more targeted drug which less likely to cause bleeding in the brain or any fatal bleeding than warfarin does. However, Xarelto costs between $6 and $9 per day while warfarin costs $4 a month which is quite expensive.
Although last July FDA had approved Xarelto as blood thinner for those people who will have hip and knee replacement surgery, still it is waiting for an approval to be used as once-daily treatment to patients with atrial fibrillation.
As cases like this, it is indeed very costly to avail such medication. Hence, having medical insurance is a helping factor to lessen the expenses as to the medical matters. If you are from New Hampshire, we are glad to inform you that we can help you find and choose a New Hampshire medical insurance. To understand more, get a free quote online or contact us through 603-890-0100 now.
This post was brought to you by Allinsurancematters.com. We help you understand your medical insurance options and choices, making it very hassle free. Our free quote engine allows you to compare rates and plans immediately, so start comparing today! We’ve helped countless consumers find the right comprehensive coverage they are looking for and we can do the same for you!
- Why Anthem Anthem Blue Cross is Good For Your Business
- The Anthem Blue Cross Employee Assistance Program for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Life and Disability Insurance for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Medcall for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Prescription Coverage for Large Group Plans
- What Can the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Card PPO Plan Provide Your Employees?
- Anthem Blue Cross Large Group HMO Preferred Plan
- Your Options for Small Group Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- Frequently Asked Questions About Small Group Life and Disability Insurance
- Special Benefits for Your Employees from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group $35 Co-pay GenRx Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $40 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $20 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO 3500 HSA Compatible Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Advantage PPO $25 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $10 Co-Pay Plan
- SmileNet Dental Discount Program from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Power Select HMO Plan for Small Groups
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group High Deductible EPO Plan
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Power Health Fund Plans
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Classic HMO Plan and the Saver HMO Plan
- The Anthem Blue Cross Healthy Improvement Program
- Anthem Blue Cross DirectAccess, SpeedyReferral and Baby Connection Programs
- Medicare Advantage Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- What Does the National Committee for Quality Assurance Do?
- Saver Select Dental HMO Plan from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Final Expense Whole Life Insurance Plan