New diagnostic tool to measure pain in the works
Pain, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What may be excruciating agony for you may feel like a mild annoyance to someone else. Unfortunately pain is also one of the most important diagnostic tools that doctors have. So wouldn’t it be nice if doctors had a tool of some sort to measure pain? According to an article posted September 15, 2011 on Medical News Today.com tells us that “Tool That Measures Pain Objectively Under Way”
According to the article a tool which yields an objective physiological assessment of pain rather then relying on a patient’s self assessment is being developed by researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine in Palo Alto, California.
The tool which uses functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) brain scans along with advanced computer algorithms accurately predicted thermal pain 81% of the time, but has so far not been tested on all types of pain including chronic pain or emotion driven pain such as that from anxiety and depression.
Senior investigator Dr Sean Mackey, associate professor of anesthesia and chief of the Division of Pain Management at the School, told the press: "People have been looking for a pain detector for a very long time. We rely on patient self-reporting for pain, and that remains the gold standard," he added, “But, he said, many patients ask, especially the very young and the very old, who find it hard to articulate their pain, wouldn't it be great if there was a tool that could measure pain?”
Hank Greely, a Stanford law professor and expert on the legal, ethical and social issues surrounding the biosciences, said this bias also exists in the legal field, where hundreds of thousands of law suits a year hinge on the existence of pain. "A robust, accurate way to determine whether someone is in pain or not would be a godsend for the legal system," said Greely, who was not involved in the current study.
The new tool is not yet ready to be used in a court of law but could someday help doctors to diagnose and treat pain even when the patient is not able to communicate.
This post was brought to you by Abrams-California-Health-Insurance.com. We’ll help keep health insurance costs low by comparing quotes from the state’s top health plans. Why not get started today and sign up for your free quote online? We’ve helped many individuals and families find quality health insurance and can do the same for you and your Blue Cross options! Contact us at 800-366-2751 to get started today.
- Why Anthem Anthem Blue Cross is Good For Your Business
- The Anthem Blue Cross Employee Assistance Program for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Life and Disability Insurance for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Medcall for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Prescription Coverage for Large Group Plans
- What Can the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Card PPO Plan Provide Your Employees?
- Anthem Blue Cross Large Group HMO Preferred Plan
- Your Options for Small Group Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- Frequently Asked Questions About Small Group Life and Disability Insurance
- Special Benefits for Your Employees from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group $35 Co-pay GenRx Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $40 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $20 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO 3500 HSA Compatible Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Advantage PPO $25 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $10 Co-Pay Plan
- SmileNet Dental Discount Program from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Power Select HMO Plan for Small Groups
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group High Deductible EPO Plan
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Power Health Fund Plans
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Classic HMO Plan and the Saver HMO Plan
- The Anthem Blue Cross Healthy Improvement Program
- Anthem Blue Cross DirectAccess, SpeedyReferral and Baby Connection Programs
- Medicare Advantage Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- What Does the National Committee for Quality Assurance Do?
- Saver Select Dental HMO Plan from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Final Expense Whole Life Insurance Plan