Turn off that Smartphone, daydreaming is good for you
I don’t know about you but when I was a child my parents and teachers used to complain about my tendency to drift off into daydreams at the drop of a hat. No matter what it was that I was supposed to be doing I could often be found gazing off into space while the world went on around me.
Today though whenever I am bored I tend to reach for some piece of technology to keep busy like checking my emails on my smart phone while waiting my turn at the DMV or listening to audio books while exercising but according to an article posted September 15, 2011 on Fox News perhaps I should turn off the tech and go back to daydreaming.
The article titled “Is Your Smartphone Ruining Your Creativity” tells us about Genevieve Bell, Ph.D., the director of interaction and experience research, at Intel who says “boredom is linked to creativity.”
According to DR. Bell some of your most creative thoughts happen when your mind is not engaged or receiving information such as when you walk or run without listening to an iPod or while waiting in line.
“Daydreaming is increasingly seen as a way that we work through, almost unconsciously, problems that we confront in our lives,” says Peter Toohey, author of Boredom: A Lively History. “We often seem to encounter solutions through daydreaming.”
“Many of the devices we have make it easier for the consumption of content,” says Bell, an anthropologist by training. “The challenge of that is there’s less time to think about what you’re consuming, less time to develop your own points of view. We may have traded in boredom for being overloaded.”
Bottom line? If you want to reduce your stress, find solutions to your problems and become more creative then allow yourself some time to just lay back and cloud watch for a bit.
This post was brought to you by Abrams-California-Health-Insurance.com. Our insurance quotes are free and so is our service, so you have nothing to lose. Why not get started today and sign up for your free California Blue Shield health insurance quote online? We’ve helped many individuals and families find quality health insurance and can do the same for you!
- Why Anthem Anthem Blue Cross is Good For Your Business
- The Anthem Blue Cross Employee Assistance Program for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Life and Disability Insurance for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Medcall for Large Group Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross Prescription Coverage for Large Group Plans
- What Can the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Card PPO Plan Provide Your Employees?
- Anthem Blue Cross Large Group HMO Preferred Plan
- Your Options for Small Group Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- Frequently Asked Questions About Small Group Life and Disability Insurance
- Special Benefits for Your Employees from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group $35 Co-pay GenRx Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $40 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $20 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO 3500 HSA Compatible Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Advantage PPO $25 Co-Pay Plan
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group PPO $10 Co-Pay Plan
- SmileNet Dental Discount Program from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Power Select HMO Plan for Small Groups
- Anthem Blue Cross Small Group High Deductible EPO Plan
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Small Group Power Health Fund Plans
- Comparing the Anthem Blue Cross Classic HMO Plan and the Saver HMO Plan
- The Anthem Blue Cross Healthy Improvement Program
- Anthem Blue Cross DirectAccess, SpeedyReferral and Baby Connection Programs
- Medicare Advantage Plans with Anthem Blue Cross
- What Does the National Committee for Quality Assurance Do?
- Saver Select Dental HMO Plan from Anthem Blue Cross
- Anthem Blue Cross Final Expense Whole Life Insurance Plan